[lbo-talk] Paul Craig Roberts

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 12 12:56:32 PDT 2007

>From: bhandari at berkeley.edu
>
>Carl, did just skim the piece but was getting the idea that Roberts isn't
>a Marxist critic of capitalism (commodity production for profit with
>privately owned means production used by wage laborers [which by the way I
>would define to include all kinds of labor arrangements]) but really ticked
>off that US firms have exported so much productive capital abroad under
>the pressure of financiers. It seems that all the elements are
>there--melancholy over loss of national power, singling out of the
>cosmopolitan financial fraction of the capitalist class, anger about
>foreigners' stealing jobs.
>Who exactly is promoting Roberts among the Left?
>If Lou Dobbs ever mentions the name Karl Marx or if his name appears on
>the Vdare site, will our work be done?
>Or given your skepticism of Marx, are we supposed to understand that you
>are criticizing Old Whiskers by showing that Roberts now positively
>invokes him?

Gee, Rakesh, don't forget I'm an old PR guy -- in headlining that post "Paul Craig Roberts endorses Marx," I was just engaging in a bit of hype to get folks to look at the piece. Extremism in the pursuit of readership is no vice ;-) As for PCR's leftward-ho navigation, you'll note that in citing PCR's past affiliations with the Reagan administration, Wall Street Journal and National Review, I said that PCR "has come a long way"; I did not say he had arrived. Yes, there are whiffs of xenophobia, nationalism, etc. about PCR's piece. I do not think he will be posting to Louis Proyect's list anytime soon. But I'm amazed that such a onetime establishment stalwart could be so deeply disillusioned about the results of the Reagan Revolution and the US's degeneracy into an out-and-out imperialistic plutocracy.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ A place for moms to take a break! http://www.reallivemoms.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us