[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Sep 12 21:02:14 PDT 2007

Although there was a certain element of gigantism in Chuck's original suggestion, I think that the idea of using CD is a good idea. I would probably emphasize smaller and multiple targets that would allow for smaller amounts of activists to succeed. (using ACT-UP as an example) It seems like there has been some success with these kind of tactics around recruitment offices. Obviously, this would also need an apparatus to explain and legitimate these activities as well.

There are two other things that seem to be missing from current efforts as well. The first is I don't see any really effort to either create structures or cultivate the kind of subaltern structures that Gramsci discusses. This seems to because a sort of obsession with either celebrity or the if we tell the truth, they will come tactics (something that comes out of Chomsky... as much as I admire the man...) The second is that I don't sense that there is any attempt to link anti-war activity with a larger critique of our society (there is a fairly widespread opportunism on the part of activists....)'

robert wood