[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 13 05:43:10 PDT 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 12:17 AM, ravi wrote:

> Yes, despite the "boys will be boys" hazing and such ;-), Chuck's
> suggestion of civil disobedience is a worthwhile one, and one of the
> few tactics available to any individual of conscience. Now that I
> have used the word ("conscience") I realise immediately how it (or
> its absence in frameworks) explains why civil disobedience has little
> chance of occurring in modern (global North?) leftist circles.

You sound like Yoshie: there's some Left that could take power, or exert considerable influence, if only it thought and did the right things and weren't so wussy. But there are people of principle and conscience - just not many of them.

And it's not just the left, is it? What is the Indian left doing to reverse neoliberalism there? Would some conscience-fueled civil disobedience make the difference?

Doug