[lbo-talk] ccia u.s. fair use economy

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 07:23:07 PDT 2007

[from the cultural studies listserve. Sorry for crossposting, but this seemed like a document that would be of interest to people on these lists. I'd be interested in comments people have on it. I mentioned on the other list that I think the cost/benefit approach to this is hiding much more about the issue than it reveals, but it is a good piece of rhetoric and data nonetheless.-s]

http://www.ccianet.org/artmanager/publish/news/ First_Ever_Economic_Study_Calculates_Dollar_Value_of.shtml

Sep 12, 2007 WASHINGTON D.C. - Fair Use exceptions to U.S. copyright laws are responsible for more than $4.5 trillion in annual revenue for the United States, according to the findings of an unprecedented economic study released today. According to the study commissioned by the Computer and Communications Industry Association (CCIA) and conducted in accordance with a World Intellectual Property Organization methodology, companies benefiting from limitations on copyright- holders' exclusive rights, such as fair use generate substantial revenue, employ millions of workers, and, in 2006, represented one- sixth of total U.S. GDP.

http://www.ccianet.org/artmanager/uploads/1/FairUseStudy-Sep12.pdf -- full study

[originally sent to CULTSTUD-L by] Jeremy Hunsinger Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research, School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (www.cipr.uwm.edu)