[lbo-talk] Thinking Big (was re: Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 13 10:51:08 PDT 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Mr. WD wrote:

> Agreed. But my point is that it's important to think big. The
> question is, 'is the movement at a place where it's time to start
> thinking about coordinating major acts of civil disobedience?' As I
> said, the Independence, Mo. idea isn't feasible right now, but
> something less ambitious might be.

Yes. Recruiting offices would be a great target. Or maybe some phony recruiters, a la Billionaires for Bush, who tell the truth about life in the military going to high schools and shopping malls to short some circuits. And what about the old GI coffeehouses from the Vietnam days? Was there just more discontent to work with within the military then? Are they all just good soldiers now.

>>> First,
>>> this war is hugely unpopular,
>>
>> That's an exaggeration. It's unpopular, but most Americans want to
>> withdraw slowly. The surge is unpopular, but so is a quick exit.
>> Split the difference, as always.
>
> According to the poll in the WSJ today, 26% of Americans want us to
> leave Iraq immediately. 37% have a more wishy-washy stance, but still
> basically want to bring this war to an end. That is a lot of fucking
> people! Are we really going to wait until some poll spits out a magic
> number and _then_ start sitting down and taking shit over? How do
> numbers like these compare to the kinds of numbers we saw during
> Vietnam? (not a rhetorical question, I'm curious)

I think we're at now where we were 8 years into Vietnam, or something like that.

You're right, 26% is a lot to work with. It's a big base, and the wishy-washy can be moved, at least some of them, by outside agitators. But you got to start with a clear evaluation of the situation, no?

Doug