[lbo-talk] Thinking Big (was re: Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Sep 13 16:37:13 PDT 2007

I'm kinda responding to this in a broad sort of way. There's no doubt that the long standing work of counterstructures is important and a lot of that work is kinda boring and is often unfulfilling. I'm in the middle of helping my union get folks active to pressure the university about contract negotiations and the expectations of older organizers and new ones is remarkable. At the same time, organizing can't be simply drudgery if you expect it to be sustainable. There needs to be points were there are small victories, things that feel accomplished, etc. CD can be a nexus for these kind of accomplishments (once again... not a substitute.) I think that a successful movement has to operate somewhere between absolutism and accepting the status quo of popular opinion. We are not going to magically transport thousands of people to engage in an action that could have occurred in Italy in the 70s, but without some pushing and risking of alienation, nothing is going to happen.

robert wood