[lbo-talk] Thinking Big (was re: Michael Lerner tattles: the stateof the antiwar movement)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 13 16:42:36 PDT 2007

bitch at pulpculture.org wrote:

> >And secondly of course there's the selection process. When you have a
> >draft, some people who hate the military and the government end up in the
> >military simply because they don't want to go to jail. So you get a bunch
> >of guys who start out already in boot camp seething in opposition and
> >equipped with an alternative worldview and who work up from there.

Another example of what I've been arguing for 10 years on this list and almost always gets (I think deliberately) misunderstood. The principle is that you build a movement by reaching out to the people who already agree with you on some element of your program. You _never_ change people's minds, but if you are active and visible they come to you when events or experience change their minds.

Carrol