[lbo-talk] Rudy's braintrust

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 14 14:02:45 PDT 2007

On Sep 14, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> This will probably seem like a "perverse" attitude to you, but:
> given that government is going to be repressive and semi-fascist
> if not rather more than semi-, would you prefer it to be efficient
> or inefficient?

I don't think Bloomberg makes much difference for how the NYPD operates. Instructions for the RNC 2004 almost certainly came down from the White House, and I doubt things would have gone much differently under Mark Green. As a rabid anti-Dem, surely you must see the wisdom of this. But things like 311 make routine daily life easier. And you can be sure that FEMA would have responded well to Katrina had Bloomberg been president. The passport office wouldn't be backed up for three months like it is now. The capitalist imperialist system would still go on, for sure, but for your average Joe or Jo, things would run more smoothly.

And I'm pretty sure that Rudy would be even worse than Bush (or Bloomberg) on civil liberties. He'd be tapping phones and purging the National Gallery the afternoon of 1/20/09.

Doug