[lbo-talk] voices from the real America

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Fri Sep 14 16:27:07 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 19:17 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> My office neighbor develops "cell phone content," whatever that means
> exactly. He also has a booming voice. I'm listening to him arguing
> with a friend on the phone right now about Iraq, and I'm hearing
> every word quite clearly. Some highlights of his argument: "The surge
> is working...people are invested in failure...counterinsurgency takes
> 10 years...Anbar Province is showing progress...our oil is wrapped up
> in this...it's working." It's pretty amazing how you can graft a
> bogus argument into an ordinary citizen's mind.

He doesn't sound like an ordinary citizen to me. Anbar province? That sounds like an enthusiast.

What more can you tell us about this chap? Hindu, heathen, Protestant, Jew? What business is he in? Who(m) does he know?

Oh -- and how how old is he, do you think?

NB: Nobody in New York is "the real America." That's why I live here.