[lbo-talk] Happy 50th, 'Atlas Shrugged'!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Sep 15 13:23:36 PDT 2007

On Sep 15, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Dennis Perrin wrote:

> One of my fave anti-Rand quotes came from Gore Vidal who, when
> reviewing one
> of her books in the late-50s, said that Rand made well-poisoning
> one of the
> kindlier arts.

Then there was Whittaker Chambers:

<http://www.nationalreview.com/flashback/flashback200501050715.asp>

Therefore, resistance to the Message cannot be tolerated because disagreement can never be merely honest, prudent, or just humanly fallible. Dissent from revelation so final (because, the author would say, so reasonable) can only be willfully wicked. There are ways of dealing with such wickedness, and, in fact, right reason itself enjoins them. From almost any page of Atlas Shrugged, a voice can be heard, from painful necessity, commanding: "To a gas chamber — go!"