[lbo-talk] The shock doctrine

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 16 18:23:45 PDT 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Robert Wrubel wrote:

> For a current example, I would think the sub-prime
> mortgage bubble indicated there was more capital
> needing to be invested than there were profitable and
> safe opportunities for it.

Do you have any idea how many bubbles there have been in the history of capitalism? Lehman Bros. recently came up with a count of more than 60 since the Dutch tulip bulb mania, half of them since 1900. The stuff that went on with railroad securities in the U.S. in the late 19th century makes today's goings-on look mild.

Doug