[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Sep 18 13:32:00 PDT 2007

Dennis Claxton wrote:
> I've been out of town so am just catching up.

>>In case you haven't been reading the news, several alleged members of
>>the Earth Liberation Front were sentenced to several years, not decades,
>>in prison for doing stuff far worse than sitting down in front of a factory.

> You left out why. They pled and cooperated. That's the only way you
> avoid long federal sentences. And 13 years is still a long time.

Your point being, what?

The Earth Liberation Front convictions represent the most extreme form of government repression directed at one of the most extreme activist groups. If people engage in mass civil disobedience at some arms factory, the punishment will be much less. It's hard to see how a criminal trespassing charge can be inflated to a felony terrorism enhancement.

In any case, my point in bringing up the Lake City scenario was to give an example of the kind of actions and tactics that could be employed by an anti-war movement which was operating from actual strategies. I was never arguing that this scenario was the best way to end the war, but it represents one facet of a more sophisticated strategy that could be put together by antiwar groups and coalitions.

I've been meaning to respond to other comments in this thread--I'd like to see a discussion that focuses more on strategies rather than tactics.

I'll post something tonight or tomorrow.

Chuck