[lbo-talk] Marx, Keynes and the Koran

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 11:12:32 PDT 2007

That's not the argument. The Refutation of Idealism is based on the not-insane idea, in fact the idea that I think is true, that we have direct perceptions of medium sized material things, therefore, they exist. The idealistic/skeptical premise (invoked by Berkeley, Hume, and Russell) that Moore denied is that we have to _infer_ the existence of material things from mental states, but such inferences cannot be trusted (skepticism) or are dispensable because we can operate with just the mental states, ideas, images (idealism). Moore's claim isn't "I think I have a hand, so I have one," which would be ineffective against the inference in question. Moore's argument is rather that there is no inference that allows the skeptical or idealist move to be made. Look! here's my hand! Not: trust me that I think I see a hand and can therefore infer that an actual hand caused me to have this idea/belief.