[lbo-talk] NAFTA superhighways

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Sep 23 23:24:56 PDT 2007

I want to thank B. for an update on the I-35 angle on this NAFTA superhighway stuff. From what I understood, there was an effort to widen I-35 from Texas to Canada. I had confused some elements of the Trans-Texas Corridor with the purported plans being pushed by the right-wingers.

Here is a recent Nation issue on this topic:

The NAFTA Superhighway http://www.thenation.com/doc/20070827/hayes

And an article from a right-wing think tank:

Miracle on I-35 Think free trade is hollowing out the economy? Take a look at Kansas City, one of the nation's newest trading powerhouses http://www.hoover.org/publications/policyreview/3572957.html

It may be true that there is no concrete (pardon the pun) plan to widen I-35 from Texas to Canada, but we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss this all as right wing anti-immigration hysteria.

There may be no plan to widen I-35, but are the capitalists creating free trade corridors such as I-35 without making it official? Perhaps this isn't as important as it sounds, but there are projects in the works like the Kansas City Smart Port (http://www.kcsmartport.com/). Conspiracy theorists and right wingers are not (for the most part) building the new intermodal facilities in Kansas City and other cities. There are capitalists promoting the improvement of infrastructure along this corridor.

There may not be an evil conspiracy here and this is too wrapped up in anti-immigration hysteria, but some of these projects exist. I guess the question for us might be: Is any of this uniquely important to warrant our interest or is it all just part of the bigger globalization picture?

Chuck