[lbo-talk] Post Marxist Era

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 24 10:31:54 PDT 2007

Eubulides wrote:

> Well heck, I've never seen any evidence that history has or needs an engine :-)

Neither have I -- bad metaphor. But it is hard to see/understand fundamental change, such as has happened 2 or 3 or 4 timesin human history, without giving an awful lot of emphasis to (silent & noisy, tacit & overt) struggle over (a) how to distribute social tasks and (b) how to allocate the social surplus.

As a metaphor for illuminating current struggle it is particularly misleading because of confusion over what classes are & who belongs where -- particularly by marxists (in marxist jargon) workerism and by left liberals (in left-liberal jargon) conceptions of rentiers, elites, & PMCs.

Carrol