[lbo-talk] The rising price of oil in US Dollars and Euros....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 24 17:39:47 PDT 2007

I raised this question on LBO last week. Found an answer at "Beat the Press".

Tell NPR, The Dollar Price of Oil Did Not Fall Because It Is Priced in Dollars

Steve Beckner told listners this morning that oil prices rose further above $80 a barrel because oil is priced in dollars. This prompted a gargantuan "huh" from the gods of good reporting. When the dollar falls, oil will rise in price when measured in dollars even if oil were priced in peanut butter. The basic story is that if we assume an unchanged value of oil, and a dollar that is worth less, then oil costs more in dollars.

As BTP readers have noted, the price of oil has risen measured in other currencies also. This is true, clearly conditions in the oil market have pushed up the price of oil. However, we have seen a much larger increase in the United States than elsewhere in the world because of the decline in the dollar. If the euro was still at 82 cents (its 2002 low), we would be looking at oil priced in the neighborhood of $50 a barrel. (The change against the euro overstates the decline of the dollar, since it has not fallen as much against other currencies.)

--Dean Baker Posted at 05:39 AM | 0 Comments: [http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/beat_the_press_archive?month=09&year=2007&base_name=tell_npr_the_dollar_price_of_o#comments]

Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht! http://www.iww.org/culture/official/preamble.shtml

Feel safe with award winning spam protection on Yahoo!7 Mail. www.yahoo.com.au/mail