[lbo-talk] Clash of Sexual Civilizations (was Re: ahmadinejad)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 25 09:25:18 PDT 2007

On Sep 25, 2007, at 8:28 AM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> In Iran, too, some people, especially younger urbanites,
> have adopted the aforementioned sexual categories whose origins Michel
> Foucault traces back to nineteenth-century bourgeois culture of the
> West.1 But a majority of Iranians, apparently including their
> President, have not adopted the idea of sexual orientations, nor have
> much of the rest of the Third World.

I know you're trying to get your boy off the hook for saying something so transparently ludicrous, but if even a minority of Iranians have adopted the "Western" identity, then Ahmadinejad's statement is factually wrong. There *are* Western-style homos in his country, whether he likes it or not.

The passage that followed on women is especially uplifting:

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/24/ AR2007092401042.html>