[lbo-talk] demonization

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 25 16:35:28 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> My god, watching Fox and CNN last night made me feel like I was
> turning into Yoshie. On Fox, Newt Gingrich was - I'm not kidding -
> bashing the Bush admin for being too soft on Iran. Then on CNN, there
> was the relentless demonization of Iran from a more liberal (and
> closeted) Anderson Cooper POV. It was creepy and completely insane.
> It really felt like the whole media establishment was leading us into
> war.

Isn't it easier for conservatives to widen the scope of a military conflict to include those who the wars critics find objectionable than it is to admit error and scale down? It has always seemed to me that it is easier for politicians to enlarge an "enemies list" than admit error or scale down such a list. This demonization of Iran fits that pattern to me. I get the feeling the Bush admin would rather shift troops into an Iran conflict than bring them home and were I a betting person this is where I would place my wager.

John Thornton