[lbo-talk] [Fwd: Jena Ignites a Movement: Report from Yesterday's Demonstration in Jena, Louisiana]

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 18:30:22 PDT 2007

On 9/25/07, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Have you been hit in the fucking head?

Yes, I have in any number of honest fights. Hence, I understand the difference between an honest fight and mob violence, a distinction seemingly lost on the majority of the left.

> I consider the nooses and the gun display crimes but the fights, both of
> them, were just fights...
>
> They committed nothing but a standard high school fight. Hardly to be
> encouraged but not exactly O.J. territory...
>
> To call them "loathsome" is rather disgusting and racist Mr. Catron and
> I do hope an apology is in order soon.

Let me break this down for you, John. Attacking an individual as part of a group of six, hitting him in the back of the head when he doesn't see it coming, or kicking him into unconsciousness when he's already down are all loathesome acts. If you do all three, I have no problem describing you as a loathesome person.

Every honest fight consists primarily of knuckleheaded stupidity tempered by a certain unspoken code of honor. The Jena defendents displayed all of the former, but none of the latter. If you can't understand the difference between "a standard high school fight" and group attack on an unsuspecting victim culminating in his unconscious trip to the ER, I hold out little hope for you.

And if there's anything "disgusting" in this exchange, it's the virtual ticker tape parade you and others have thrown for these little creeps.