[lbo-talk] post analytical Marxist era/ post liberal era

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Sep 26 14:23:55 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen :

"Political liberalism is the view that the best form of government

involves universal suffrage, competitive elections, and extensive

political and civil liberties."

^^^^^ CB: We now know that the political liberal view is fundamentally deficient. The best form of government involves GUARANTEE OF A RIGHT TO A JOB OR INCOME, universal suffrage, competitive elections, and extensive political and civil liberties. The "best form of government" you describe fails to take account of the thinking and experience of the last 150 years. Your definition was fresh in the period of Jefferson. It was superceded in the period of Marx. We've been in a post-liberal era for longer than in a post-Marxist era. Your definition is a "back to the future" one. Your definition is idealist political thinking. Materialist political thinking has overcome idealist political thinking as the best.