[lbo-talk] Overeducated/religion (Was Re: Last Supper, in a leather harness)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 30 10:30:52 PDT 2007

I am over-educated. Way too many higher degrees. Furthermore there is no question in my mind but that PhD training makes you over/un-qualified for most jobs, not just as a matter of the way other people look at you, but as a matter of the way you think and approach things. So maybe miseducated is a better term. I'm not sure that there's any such thing as being too learned or too smart -- although a court in I think CT through out suit by a would-be police officer who claimed that he was denied a job because he was too smart; the court said that wasn't a protected class -- but overeducated, definitely.

I too share annoyance at the pseudo-populism that sneers at the ideas of pointy-headed long-haired innalectuals in favor of the plain common sense of the People. Of course I have some self-interest on the table, being among the former despite a short haircut, but there's no virtue in general in ideas being ideas of the poor and uneducated unless you can link those ideas with interests that poor and uneducated have in knowing the truth about something. In the case of religion it's quite the opposite; it's manifest, as Chuck noted long ago, that the grip of religion on the "masses" is ideological.

But note that Chick never made any practice of the sort of religion-bashing characteristic of the high enlightenment (Voltaire, Diderot. D'Holbach, Sade, Paine, etc.), much fun as that was, and revived lately by Hitchens, Dawkins, and Harris. It's not that he thought religion wasn't full of fresh male cow patties any less than they, he just didn't see the point in trying to refute it as opposed to abolishing the conditions that give it a grip.

Now of course we are a lot further away from that than he thought he was, so maybe that makes a difference. But generally speaking I think you have to consider the advantage of making fun of religion versus the cost in any particular situation.