[lbo-talk] Mosley "Nazi sex orgy" followup: Video posted

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 1 12:26:50 PDT 2008

B. wrote:
> http://jalopnik.com/373884/f1-boss-max-mosley-caught-with-five-hookers-in-nazi-orgy-video-scandal
>

> See previous post for context. Remember, the guy is
> the son of the head of the WW2-era British Union of
> Fascists, now a racing team boss.
>
> -B.

He's not a racing team boss but he may still be a fascist. He was a member of the far-right UM which is where he met his wife. The UM was to the right of the Conservative Party. Since the BUF and Oswald Mosley were modeled after Italian fascists rather than German fascists Mosley chose his orgy "theme" poorly in more ways than the obvious one. Wodehouse fans will recognize that Mosley's father Oswald and the BUF were the basis for the character Roderick Spode (Lord Sidcup) and his Black Shorts from the Wooster and Jeeves stories. If Mosley had dressed in a black shirt with the Flash and Circle and black shorts while speaking Italian he could have laughed off this entire affair. Except perhaps to his wife.

He sold his interest in the racing team (March Engineering) years ago and took up a position at FOCA. As the #2 man at FOCA (Ecclestone being #1) he settled the FOCA FISA dispute in what looked at the time like a great deal for FISA but in actuality was much better for FOCA. He left FOCA to become a FISA consultant and then, with some controversy, got elected to the FISA Presidency. This left Ecclestone at FOCA. Again with some controversy, he took the FIA Presidency away from Balastre and folded FISA into the FIA. He's had numerous calls for his resignation and even announced his pending resignation a few years back This latest storm I doubt he'll weather. Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Toyota, and Ferrari all have important nationalistic reasons to want to distance themselves from Mosley's Nazi orgy since, in light of his and his families past, this story will not be made to go away easily. He's been effectively nothing much more than a figurehead for several years so this whole "most powerful man in motor-racing" is hyperbole. The World Motor Sport Council takes marching orders from Ecclestone first and Todt second. These two men, depending upon whom they can line up behind them from the FIA General Assembly, are far more powerful than Mosley. Unless they get caught having Nazi orgies next. I can believe Ecclestone could be having orgies, Nazi or otherwise, but not Todt. Mosley inadvertently gave away the FIA presidents real authority when he drew up the Concorde Agreement in '81. It was a shortsighted move on his part since he aspired to the FIA Presidency even then. He couldn't hold Ron Dennis' feet to the fire last year because Ecclestone forbid it. Not exactly a sign he's the most powerful man in motor-sports. He did attend Roland Ratzenberger's funeral in '94 which is probably about the nicest thing anyone can ever say about the man. Before this Nazi orgy I would have assumed his wife may have had nicer things to say, but that is beginning to look doubtful.

John Thornton