[lbo-talk] EU opens Northern Rock investigation

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:38:06 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

>> Well I said this not all that long ago:
>
> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Turmoil2.html>
>
> Since the expenditure of public funds is probably inevitable, it
> would be very nice, if the public actually got something in return—
> though the precedents for this are not encouraging. At the very
> least, the financial system badly needs to be re-regulated to prevent
> the sort of wild speculative adventures that have become routine in
> recent decades. Though Wall Street types will complain that that will
> hurt them, or assert that regulation is impossible, these claims
> should be studiously ignored. This whole boom–bust–bailout cycle has
> gotten very wasteful and very dangerous. It would have been nice if
> the dot.com and Enron debacles had led to some sort of re-regulation,
> but they didn't. This time around, the hangover is even worse than
> the last go-round. What might the next one look like without some
> sort of re-regulation? Some people in Washington are starting to talk
> about this, but without serious popular pressure, the measures are
> likely to be very mild stuff indeed.

Actually, I think this next part is what I was looking for:

"But it would also be nice to see some new institutions emerge out of the wreckage of the subprime adventure. Failed small banks and mortgage brokers could be turned into community development, nonporfit, and cooperative institutions. As was suggested in LBO #116, instead of foreclosing upon people who are behind on their mortgages, some public entity could acquire their houses and transform them into limited equity cooperatives. In such an arrangement, people can own their dwellings, but only sell them back to the co-op at a price reflecting improvements plus inflation but without any speculative gain. Occupants would continue to pay a mortgage, but a much smaller one, with the government picking up some of the writeoff, and banks absorbing some as well."

So what would be involved in creating these new institutions? I think that we would need something like the squatters mentioned here a few weeks ago to really get something like this passed (i.e. some hardcore, civil disobedience and threat to the order from below). The problem would seem to be that there isn't necessarily a constituent group that can protest or work this out (i.e. there is no "us" to get "them" to do it.) It is just an atomized wave of disaster that most people are just hoping misses them.

As someone with a mortgage to pay that is likely going to be higher than my home value very soon, I can say that as long as I stay put I'm probably fine. But since I will likely need to move to get a job, that will be a problem (and looking at the figures you have at the bottom of that piece, a problem that won't be going anywhere anytime soon). In other words, we can likely continue to pay our mortgage, but could be stuck living in the same place (i.e. not able to move for employment, etc.) barring the acceptance of some personal financial punishment. My department at GMU just had to abandon a search for a tenure line position after the first choice candidate came back with a similar story: she can't accept because she didn't think she could get out from under the house she owns in order to move. This is just one problem, easily dismissed as a sort of bad luck. The goal, it would seem, is to make it recognizable as part of a larger problem to which we need to demand solutions.