[lbo-talk] Hayek, reading suggestions?

(Chuck Grimes) cgrimes at rawbw.COM
Mon Apr 7 07:30:24 PDT 2008

This weekend, while reading something or other, I discovered that Ernst Gombrich, the art historian, Karl Popper the philosopher, and Friedrich Hayek the economist all knew each other and were friends. Their shared intellectual connection was none other than a profound distaste for Hegel and of course Marxism. Just about every time I go web surfing or pick up a book, I am staggered by what I don't know.

So on this chance discovery, i recalled an exchange of posts between me and Justin of Gombrich, whom i dismissed. So I dug out my two collections of Gombrich's essays and delved into his Ideas and Idols. Just finished his In Search of Cultural History. Contrary to my last reading of this essay some ten or twenty or whatever it was years ago, I learned a lot and tended to agree with most of it.

Since I've gotten through most of Popper's critique of Plato, and had to put it down for the sake of sheer bordom, I now need to get something by Hayek. What I am looking for is not so specialized in economics, as in its general discussions about society, politics, economic systems---generally something of more philosophical bend.

List suggestions are welcome...