[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Apr 8 14:50:09 PDT 2008

John Thornton writes:

> It doesn't necessarily save them time or money and so isn't
> necessarily
> "better" for them in any way except as a class signifier.
> This is to be discouraged.
> What percentage of total NYC individual drivers these people make up
> is
> not known by me. Probably not by anyone else either but I bet it's
> significant.

Well, there you have it: I don't know the answer, but I bet it's big, so let's nail everyone equally. A very American "feel-it-in-my-gut" response.

I'll take the other side of that: we don't know, and probably can't know; so if we're getting a posse together to nail the richies, why not do it through the progressive income tax?

It seems like you've made my point for me, thanks.

/jordan