[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 8 17:22:20 PDT 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> - Getting rid of tolls and other congestion-causing misguided efforts
> (like "traffic calming" which incentivizes people to drive further to
> avoid the mess)

While I do oppose toll roads I'm a big fan of traffic calming if done correctly. One street in my neighbourhood, because it was relatively wide and had only on stop sign between two major east/west roads, began getting heavy use by people wishing to bypass the more congested north/south roads flanking it several blocks away on each side. Traffic calming devices have completely eliminated the cars careening down this street at 60 mph trying to "make up time". Don't lump all traffic calming together. We had one child hit and killed there already when the influx first began. Without the traffic calming devices there is no good reason to believe it wouldn't be 2 or 3 by now.

John Thornton