[lbo-talk] NY blocks mayor's congestion plan

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Apr 8 16:34:27 PDT 2008

> Traffic calming devices have completely eliminated the cars careening
> down this street at 60 mph trying to "make up time".

Yes, they've moved on to someone else's street.

It's whack-a-mole, and it's a perfect example of the kind of well-intentioned-but-still-wrong thinking that leads to congestion pricing. You have to fix the problem -- in this case, a wide residential street with not very many stop signs needs to have ... wait for it ... sane traffic control. And if people are cutting through there because the main roads are congested ... wait for it ... you have to fix the congestion! It's usually a combination of left-hand turns, lax enforcement of parking restrictions, not enough loading zones, poorly timed lights. Fix that and you won't have to worry about people cutting through trying to make up time.

You said it best:

> I'm a big fan of traffic calming if done correctly.

Still waiting for it to be done correctly ...

/jordan