[lbo-talk] NYblocks mayor's congestion plan

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Apr 10 08:12:47 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 05:56:07PM -0600, John Thornton wrote:

> Do some list members "hate cars"?

Clearly some list members hate *drivers*. They are horrible people who do it depiste how horrible it is, and take pleasure in their ability to be dicks. Drivers of any type are like how Brian the Dog sees Hummer drivers:

http://www.mediazine.net/view/family_guy_hummer_drivers

Now, there's something for ideology....mainly, it isn't inconvenienced with facts. Jordan and James have introduced some annoying facts to counter the ideology, and the argument they present seems very rational and sound.

It is amusing to see some list members explain how *they*, and *only they* are pure of mind and choose transportation that is efficient, while drivers are doing so because of all sorts of reasons related to them being Horrible Persons and living in a Horrible Place.

Why can't we assume most people travel in the way that seems most efficient to them? Sure, there are drivers like the above video, but those aren't most people.

I'll add my anecdote to complement the others:

I live almost a couple hundred miles from NYC so travel there frequently for business and pleasure. Amtrak services my town and is great - but extremely expensive! It certainly doesn't scale. $120 round trip PER PERSON means 4 people would spend $460 instead of sharing a car and splitting two tanks of gas and parking/tolls, which would probably be $160 total.

BTW it is faster by car to, door to door, and I can usually find on street free parking in the East Village in about 10 minutes.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

You could be cursed with the three terrible karmas. You could be beautiful, rich, and famous.

-Tyler Durden