[lbo-talk] London congestion charge

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:18:52 PDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com> wrote:
> > So if you think that reversing these policies is
> > possible by incentives alone, without imposing any
> > cost on the population - I think you are dreaming.
>
> I didn't say "at no cost" -- in fact, half this conversation is about
> cost!
>
> I gave you a (working) example yesterday: the growth of BART; but I'll
> expand that to commuter rail in general. Providing the right incentives
> gets people out of their cars ... it's not great, but it's got promise.
> All it needs is more.

What you said was this:

----------- Well, we have a little experimental data for this: the 1989 Loma Priata earthquake closed the Bay Bridge for 6 weeks. At the time, about 250,000 vehicles per day used the bridge, and BART carried about 218,000 passengers. Within a week, average ridership was 308,000 per day; current ridership is 340k/day ("official" capacity is about 350k, though the all-time record was 381k ... which means if we have another one, we're well and fucked). -----------

The incentive in that case was making driving completely nonviable, not improving BART. I'll grant that banning cars altogether would do the trick, but I suspect that's not what you meant.

-- Andy