[lbo-talk] data revisions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Apr 12 14:21:33 PDT 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> Is confidence a leading, a lagging or a coincident indicator?

Leading, insofar as it's anything. This 1998 study from the NY Fed

<http://www.newyorkfed.org/research/epr/98v04n2/9806bram.pdf>

found the Conference Board's index a decent predictor of consumer spending, and the Michigan measure not so good. The CB survey asks people their impressions of the job market, while Michigan doesn't, and relies more on questions like "Is this a good time to make a big purchase?" Here's a nut graf: