[lbo-talk] Doug, Chill. Rachel is not a liar. You have better arguments to make.

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:53:10 PDT 2008

Doug, I want to appeal to you directly to start to ratchet down some of this. At the point where you're insinuating blanket dishonesty from Rachel or other organizers--- particularly after her very heartfelt email--- is getting close to the end of sensible discussion. I know Rachel. Obviously she's not making shit up randomly Doug. I don't draw a paycheck from seiu, and altho I wasn't able to go up to the LN picket (I absolutely would have if I didn't have to work a shift that day--- I've picketed union-busters with rowdy anger hundreds of times and have no problem with adding a craft union that was clearly in the wrong to the list!), so I can't speak firsthand on that stuff (also don't find it very important who pushed who first--- it was a picket where a union was marching in to a banquet to protest a union-buster's speech--- would've done the same if a corporate CEO who just busted a union election was speaking to a corporate banquet, and from seiu's perspective there ain't a lot of difference anyway). But on a host of other issues I've given you firsthand verification from a lowly radical dishwasher who hasn't had any official connection with seiu for more than a year. Are ya gonna call me a liar now? Think before you do, Doug.

Doug, given your opposition to seiu, I've asked you a number of questions about your opinion of private sector organizing gains, and how you think seiu and unite here's unique successes in that department may influence the issues behind the angst and heat surrounding this laborland controversy. You're straight not responding to dialogue, and instead tossing off throwaway one-liners accusing Rachel of lying. I'll do you the favor of not calling her up to bring her directly into the discussion, but seriously guy, would you try doing some yoga or something to center yourself before you write on this topic? You're more grounded on planet earth than this. Show it off sometime.

By the way, to answer your question--- there were a ton of people there picketing who don't work for the union. Altho, many rank and file member activists have come out of the shop on occasion to work as organizers, or say have family members who do (like rachel's RN dad, a member). So perhaps that would make them part of the evil staff beauracracy conspiracy as well to you. Anyhow, there are many folks. But neither they, nor seiu as a whole, prioritize engaging in lefto blogosphere debate on the issue. SEIU rightly understands that the flamewars that comprise the sectarian remains of the radical left are of no impact or interest to the actual mainstream world of working people. Sometimes some of us people who have seen the class war from the trenches of seiu's organizing campaigns and believe in its strategy because we've seen it kick ass, and who identify with the radical left in the US (despite all evidence to its tiny irrelevant wingnut status) do still engage in the debate, altho we put a lot less into it than say LN people or whatever. We do things like write a pretty straight up email like Rachel's. And get called liars by Doug, who from Manhattan, seems to know a lot more than I do about Ohio.