[lbo-talk] Doug, Chill. Rachel is not a liar. You have better arguments to make.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 15 10:16:33 PDT 2008

On Apr 15, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Jim Straub wrote:

> And get called liars by Doug,
> who from Manhattan, seems to know a lot more than I do about Ohio.

Ah, Manhattan. From here I know that all you people in flyover country are bitter. SEIU's candidate told me so!

Look, I don't know what the hell is going on in Ohio. What I know is that Stern and SEIU's political stances on a lot of national issues kinda suck, so I'm inclined not to take their side in disputes with an organization whose stances on a lot of national issues are quite good. I know that the SEIU's Dennis Rivera cut a lot of deals with George Pataki and the New York hospital industry that weren't good for the working class of New York State too. And I also know that a lot of the most damaging testimony about what SEIU is up to is coming from people within the union. Sal Roselli isn't a minor figure.

No, I don't think Rachel is a liar. But people who belong to an organization aren't always inclined to see its faults. Like I told Mark, most of the critiques of CNA have come not from neutral parties but from interested ones. You see why that might make someone skeptical?

Doug