[lbo-talk] McCain reads lbo-talk?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Apr 15 19:23:19 PDT 2008

On Tue 15 April, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>> it's the best tool for its particular job, unlike bridge tolls
>> or congestion pricing.
>
> What job are you talking about?

Upping the fuel efficiency of the fleet. Nothing in history has done it anywhere near as effectively as higher fuel prices.

> Couldn't we do the same (and more!) by passing stronger/higher
> regulations for new vehicles?

Theoretically, yes. But history has shown that CAFE is hard to pass and easy to game. The entire SUV plague is some sense literally a truck driven through a loophole.

And raising gas taxes would be even harder once you dropped them.

So what you seem to be suggesting is giving up something that we know works now (higher prices, of which existing taxes are a substantial part) to be replaced by something you hope works, someday, based on.... hope.

Seems like a bad trade to me!

Especially since everything you suggest as alternatives would be better done as additions. It's not either/or. It's giving up something that works or ... not.

And then you can do anything you want in addition. You want to fix inequality? Make the income tax code even more progressive. Go to it, cowboy! :o)

Michael