[lbo-talk] Obama gains on "electability"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Apr 18 09:46:22 PDT 2008

> So then, when somebody like Obama comes along, his first duty to his
> potential supporters is to educate them on the facts of life. These
> are the facts, the concepts, and the goals we intend to accomplish.

But the DP exists primrily to _prevent_ such education, and Obama is a loyal Democrat, whatever else he is.

If such education is to occur it can only be through the means of a mass movement directed _against_ the policies of the Obama Adminsitration, for those policies will be retrograde.

The election has ceased to be of any concern. Leftists should concentrate on developing the local groups and local cadre that can be the core of such a movement. Assuming Obama is elected, by 2011 there will be millions of deeply embittered voters for him. We need to give our attention to how we can reach this potential mass when that time comes.

(If Clinton wins, the embitterment will probably come sooner.)

Carrol