[lbo-talk] Obama gains on "electability"

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 08:54:31 PDT 2008

--- Dwayne Monroe <dwayne.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you believe there are better odds of us seeing
> the Democrats --
> under either candidate -- create the sort of
> educational background
> you're describing?

[WS:] I think it is possible, and probably more likely under Obama than under Clinton. I do not think, however, that presidential politics is the right time and place or even conduit to perform this kind of education. Obama can probably act as a catalyst - one inspiring a reaction without getting much involved in it - but the actual reaction must take place in the so-called civil soceity or institutions that are sympathetic and have rsources - unions, academia, liberal media, liberal foundations, NGOs, liberal think tanks, liberal churches, even businesses. If Democrats face pressure from below that will effectively counterbalance the influence of corporate donors, they will respond - I have little doubt about that.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ