[lbo-talk] SEIU black leaders protest LN action

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 18 13:58:37 PDT 2008

[a copy just sent to me - this was OCR'd from a scan, so apologies for any errors I didn't catch]

April 17, 2008

Marchel Smiley, President SEIU National AFRAM Caucus 1673 Columbia Road NM # 100 Washington, DC 20009

RE: SEIU Exploits African American Women and Children at Labor Notes Conference

Dear President Smiley:

In Dearborn, Michigan on Saturday, April 12, 2008, SEIU staffers invited African American SEIU members, mostly women and children to a "rally." However, it was not a rally. It was a dinner, featuring the executive director of the C.N.A. as a guest speaker.

These SEIU members and their children were led into the hotel where violence erupted at the initiation of SEIU staff. Why were these women and children put in harms way? Why weren't they told the truth about their presence at this conference? Why were there only African Americans and their children invited, with the exception of the SEIU staffers? Why would SEIU create an environment of hostility rather than encourage and participate in the debate over differences.

We do not condone actions of the CNA raiding of Unions; nor do we condone raiding from any organization! We certainly do not and will not condone using children in violent, ill advised protests for any cause.

As African Americans, we are offended by any organization that would expose children to violence! The actions exhibited by SElU staff at the Labor Notes Conference sent a terrible message to the labor movement and the community at large. Violence in attacking freedom of speech must be strongly condemned. Any attempt to deny the right of free speech threatens the foundation of our movement and the future of all working people.

There was one fatality that evening, Mr. David Smith, an African American Homecare Worker and member of SEIU Healthcare Michigan collapsed and died-obituary attached.

We hold SEIU Leadership, executive vice president, Mary Kay Henry accountable! The SEIU press release quoted Mary Kay as saying, "Tonight, SEIU members stood up for the future of the labor movement and called on the California Nurses Association to stop fighting with other unions and start helping us build a stronger labor movement to help all workers reclaim the American Dream." Another SElU leader, Thomas V. De Bruin, President, SElU Healthcare Pennsylvania, is quoted in an email he sent on April 13, 2008 as saying, "An important victory for our Union and the labor movement." This is not responsible leadership! This was an abuse of power!

President Smiley, as national AFRAM President of SEIU, we request you to publicly denounce these deplorable actions from the leadership of SEIU at the Labor Notes Conference.

Sincerely,

Sonia Askey, Vice President AFRAM Western Region

Jesse Smith, President SEIU UHW AFRAM

Angela Glasper, Treasurer AFRAM Western Region

Lover Joyce, Vice President SEIU UHW Executive Board