[lbo-talk] Obama: Some days get really long

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 18 18:13:33 PDT 2008

B. posted:

>Campbell Brown of CNN, Meacham’s co-host, asked Obama
>what he would say to one of his daughters if she asked
>him if God really created the universe in six days.
>Glory! It was the opening scientists pray for, a
>chance for an audacious young man to tell the story
>of creation to the entire nation. "No dear, the story
>of the beginning of the universe is far grander than
>that. It is 14 billion years old and still changing.
>Science has learned much, but there is far more still
>to be learned." Of course he did not say that. He said,
>"Six days in the bible may not be 24-hour days." Sigh!

John G. sez:

I am far from a knee-jerk apologist for Obama's every utterance, but I don't consider this answer to be spineless pandering to the creationist bogeymen. There's nothing inherently wrong with engaging young children's curiousity about the world byspeaking in colorful mythical terms. If properly guided, they will later come to understand the distinction between metaphors and best available explanations of cosmological realities. This insipid variety of bloody-minded, literalistic scientism is all too typical of a certain species of atheist (and I count myself as an atheist) who tools around in a car sporting a "Darwin" bumper sticker and is an enthusiastic proponent of the capitalist market, Monsanto GMO's, and geo-engineering solutions to climate catastrophe. _________________________________________________________________ More immediate than e-mail? Get instant access with Windows Live Messenger. http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_instantaccess_042008