[lbo-talk] origins of a cliche

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 18 18:39:09 PDT 2008

I think you can blame Biship Butler: "Everything is what it is, and not another thing," a favorite of GE Moore. Moore wanted philosophers to resist the temptation (or the attempt) to identify intrinsic goodness with a different (naturalistic) property like being desired. I share Shag's annoyance at the expression even if deployed for lofty purposes. It's trivially true that everything is what it is and not another thing, and that and $4.17 will buy you a cuppa cappucino here Shytown.

The bite comes, if any, in the proposition, or argument, that you cannot identify, explain, analogize, or compare the thing that is what it is with something else. Moore at least had an argument about goodness, although no one seems to be clear what exactly it was. Generally, though, everything is like something else in some respect, the real question is, is it an interesting or relevant one for our purposes?

If deployed at a verbal tic, as by my otherwise excellent broker, it's not even trivially true. I think he means by it, in characterization a possible purchase of a security, that he's told me either what he knows and why he thinks it is (or is not) a good idea, like the time I developed a passion for investing in Siberian fractal collateralized mink debentures leveraged against my holdings in Australasian kangaroo foot futures (ask Doug for an explanation, lety me assure you this was not the road to the wealth of Croesus or the dreams of Midas, and I was dissuaded) and while he can make third party research available to me in addition to whatever I noticed in the headlines of the FT, I think he means, that's all I can say, it's up to you to decide if it is a good idea, and (depending on the context), I wash my hands of your lunacy and let's list this as an unsolicited trade, or, it's a decent buy but not like getting in at McDonalds or Microsoft on the

ground floor.