[lbo-talk] Reading suggestions needed

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 05:17:33 PDT 2008

Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> My daughter, age 14, is interested in reading about
>
> 1. The British in India
> 2. The Holocaust
>
> Taking her age into consideration, can anyone recommend appropriate
> books/essays?

Kim for starters.

Depending on the kid and your idea of what is or is not appropriate, George McDonald Fraser's Flashman novels might suit. They are an utterly hilarious first person account of the life of an officer in Victoria's army.

Flashy is a coward, lecher, drunk, racist, ... and generally an utter scoundrel, but the history is accurate and extensively footnoted, and the books are very well-written.

"Flashman" is the first Afghan War, "Flashman and the Great Game" is the Indian mutiny.

-- Sandy Harris, Nanjing, China