[lbo-talk] Reading suggestions needed

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 21 08:55:54 PDT 2008

Joanna wrote:
> My daughter, age 14, is interested in reading about
>
> 1. The British in India
> 2. The Holocaust
>
> Taking her age into consideration, can anyone recommend appropriate
> books/essays?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joanna

For a specific aspect on British India try Mike Davis' "Late Victorian Holocausts, El Niño Famines and the Making of the Third World". A true inter-disciplinary history. My nephew read it at 15 and to the best of my knowledge he isn't some sort of savant so I assume others of his age could read it as well. I remember it being rather easy reading. It's a bit gruesome at times but only you can know your child's level of sensitivity to something like that.

John Thornton