[lbo-talk] the Murdochization of the WSJ

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 22 10:08:19 PDT 2008

On Apr 22, 2008, at 1:00 PM, Eric wrote:

> Then I noticed that there
> seems to be a lot less of the amazing "cultural" articles -- the ones
> about obscure/fascinating/incredible people or movements that don't
> *seem* to be strictly relating to the economic. I really like those.

Rupert doesn't. He hates the A-heads (the whimsical stories in the center of the front page with three-sided rules around the headline which look kind of like an A, thus the name). He also thinks there are too many editors and not enough reporters. The really distinctive WSJ stories, esp the ones on on either side of page 1 in the classic layout ("leaders" in WSJ jargon), were always edited with a magazine level of intensity, which is what made them so great. No more. Rupe wants it newsier.

Doug