[lbo-talk] the Murdochization of the WSJ

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Apr 22 10:00:52 PDT 2008

I hadn't read the WSJ for a few months until beginning a few weeks ago. Right away I noticed the larger fonts and the little "takeaway" boxes -- ie, the ones with the three bullet points of what the article is allegedly able to be reduced to. Then I noticed that there seems to be a lot less of the amazing "cultural" articles -- the ones about obscure/fascinating/incredible people or movements that don't *seem* to be strictly relating to the economic. I really like those. It also seems that though the articles on finance and business were still good, there are fewer of them, though I have no way to quantify that.

>[via Mike Allen's Politico Playbook - this is not good news - I'm
>running an interview on Thursday's show with Tony Hendra, editor of a
>WSJ parody, the premise of which is the Murdochization of the paper -
timely, by coincidence]