[lbo-talk] Monsters of Empire

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 11:43:28 PDT 2008

Dennis Redmond posted:

>From the Decider to the Obliterator, such progress have we made:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Jvk5b3WzI>

For those who may not be able to view the video, here's Clinton's statement:

"The question was, if Iran were to launch a nuclear attack on Isreal, what would our response be and I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president, we will attack Iran. And I want them to understand that, because it does mean that they have to look very carefully, uh, at their society because, whatever stage of development they might be in their nuclear weapons program in the next ten years during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Isreal we would be able to totally obliterate them. It's a terrible thing to say, but those people who run Iran need to understand that because perhaps [understanding] that will deter them from doing something that would be reckless, foolish and tragic."

[...]

As horrible as this is, we know it to be a bullshit statement.

Not, mind you, because it's false; in the wildly unlikely event of an Iranian nuclear attack on Isreal (made particularly difficult, it seems, by the lack of the essential prerequisite of a weapons program) the US does indeed have the ability to "obliterate" Iran via thermonuclear retalitation.

The bullshit factor can be found in the statement's overall structure which is built upon two false premises 1.) An imminent Iranian threat and 2.) the division of the world's nuclear powers into, on one side, responsible, trustworthy nuke stewards such as the sweet-as-your-grandma United States and its plucky vassal Isreal, land of the fearless sabras. And the opposite side: wild-eyed maniacs who, in their mouth foaming state of insanity, might do something "foolish and tragic".

Here, we witness HRC at her crackpot realist finest. By her reasoning, this strontium 90 poisoned statement isn't a threat but a sort of teaching moment. She wants to help Iranians change their society by, in so many words, saying to them 'unless you get rid of the people who're threatening to build a bomb and destroy Isreal [which, by the way, is just some shit we keep saying without evidence but never mind the facts now] we might, if they do the thing we claim they're threatening and planning to do, destroy you.

You'll have only yourselves to blame for our attack (which won't come because you're not going to do anything and we won't have to retaliate but I have to convince people I'm as tough as a Roman general so please bear with me).

In the super heated world of American discourse about Iran, you'd think that we're only moments away (or maybe ten years) from the dark day when an Iranian engineer puts the last bolt in a Shahab rocket and affixes a nuke warhead atop it. In a control room straight out of the orientalist fantasies of Satan coal shoveler Chris Hitchens, a mullah dances about with a curved sword, his hand dangling over a cartoon red button labeled "FIRE". Soon the accursed Zionists will resmeble the sad remains of Pompey!

But wait! He remembers the tough words of Starship Trooper HRC. His hand moves away from the tempting button, his sword drops to the floor.

God bless our battletrix.

.d.