[lbo-talk] To each according to work

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 22 17:08:46 PDT 2008

BW wrote:

All the unpleasant work just needs to be divided by the number of physically capable people in the society and each person then required to do his/her part.

A lot can be accomplished informally by socially honoring work, as in Japan apparently older people consider it a priviledge to be responsible for keeping some part of a public space clean.

I dont really get the argument that there will always be slackers. It seems to me a culture that is designed to further the well-being of everyone in it, instead of distorted by the imperatives of competition and survival, will naturally teach its members to find work fulfilling. *************************

In my own historically trapped, coercive way, I think that the problem of slackers can be solved by requiring that people choose some available socially necessary labour to do in order to be able to draw socially produced goods and services from the pile created by the other associated producers during their socially necessary labour time. If one doesn't want to put in socially necessary work time at some democratically decided project of wealth creation (even cleaning toilets), then that person cannot take anything from the social store. They can, however, live as hermits, if they wish and produce what they need for themselves. If there are too many people wishing to fulfill their necessary work time at some particular task than are necessary to complete that task, they'll have to choose another in order to draw from the social store.

Mike B)

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address. www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail