[lbo-talk] the recent global boom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 25 12:04:23 PDT 2008

I was at a Council on Foreign Relations roundtable on the global economy this morning, featuring Ethan Harris (Lehman Bros.), Joyce Chang (JPMorgan Chase), and Nouriel Roubini (NYU/RGE Global Monitor), and chaired, as usual, by Daniel Tarullo of the Georgetown Law School. Chang made an interesting point. She doesn't think the world has "decoupled" from the U.S. The world is still one "production machine" (just a tad oversimplified, I'd say), but its internal composition has changed, with the U.S. accounting for a much smaller portion, and the "emerging" world (particularly China and India) accounting for a much larger share than in earlier business cycles. She also pointed out that the world has just been through the strongest five-year period of growth it's experienced in 150 years.

Roubini, notorious as one of the most bearish voices in the mainstream, said he's expecting a 4-6 quarter U.S. recession, "not Armageddon" - something U-shaped, with a slow recovery, rather than the old-style V shape (sharp downturn, sharp recovery), or the L- shape that Japan experienced after its bubble burst in the early 1990s.

Doug