[lbo-talk] I Hate Daniel Goldhagen. (Was Re: Reading suggestions needed

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 25 12:11:20 PDT 2008

Stalin was a Georgian. :) Actually this is interesting because Georgia is not known for a history of anti-Semitism, given its two-millenia-old Jewish population. There WERE pogroms in Tiflis but they were pretty minor in scale (compared to elsewhere). There may or may not be a connectyion between the Doctor's Plot and the move by Stalin to purge Mingrelians (a Georgian ethnic minority) from the Party, which took place at the same time. Beria was a Mingrelian, leading some people to speculate that his is why Beria supposedly assassinated Stalin (which I don't think he did).

Zhores Medvedev (Roy's brother) argues, among other things, that large-scale violence against Jews would have been suicidal for the USSR, given the effects that it would have had on medicine, the cultural area, the economy, and every sphere of Soviet life in which Jews were prominent. He thinks the idea that there was an impending Judeocide in the works is the product of fearful whispers and rumors circulating among the Jewish population at the time, for whom the memory of the Holocaust was still fresh in the general atmosphere of fear of the late Stalin era.

My boss' grandmother was fired from her institute during the Doctor's Plot, but I don't think she was worried about physical death.

--- andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Weell, I didn't mean to imply that Stalin had a
> general Judeaocide planned, sorry if I seemed to
> imply that. But an anti-Semitic pogrom, to which the
> Drs Plot _was_ very likely prelude, _after
> Auschwitz_, is just another piece of evidence that
> homicical Jew-hating isn't unique to the German, my
> point vs. DG. Of course Russian anti-Semitism is
> part of the resaon I'm here in America.

Mataiotes mataioteton, eipen ho Ekklasiastes, mataiotes mataioteton, ta panta mataiotes.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ