[lbo-talk] Gallup: Dem race now tied

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 13:37:56 PDT 2008

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:03 PM, Charles Brown
> <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:
>

>> Why haven't all you "lefties" been defending O's left analysis of
>> working class bitterness due to economic hardship ?

Defending this?

“It’s not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

So because people are frustrated they become gun nuts? Racist xenophobes? Fundamentalist xtians? Oppose NAFTA or other free-trade agreements?

As I mentioned before it's a bit odd that Obama sees all these are irrational feelings born out of frustration. This strongly suggests Obama believes peoples anti-NAFTA anti-free trade sentiments are based on something other than logical well reasoned responses to trade policies that hurt working people. Opposing free-trade agreements is like being a gun-nut, xenophobe, or religious fundamentalist in Obama's eyes according to this quote. I guess I don't see what's to defend in this position. Joining the Minutemen, waiting for the rapture, or opposing NAFTA are all born of the same economic bitterness? I will not defend that type of thinking.

John Thornton