[lbo-talk] Gallup: Dem race now tied

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 28 13:51:43 PDT 2008

Marvin Gandall wrote:
> Charles Brown writes:
>

>> Pointing to working class bitterness over losing their jobs is
>> left.
>>
>> No doubt you are purposely ignoring the guns and religion aspect of the
>> comment ,which was what was emphasized in the media, not the anti-trade
>> sentiment, which was just a misstatement by O.
>>
>> The reference to religion is almost straight Marx. Even the
>> rightwingers got that correct. Crystal and others literally called O a
>> "Marxist" on television. The rightwingers didn't say "oh that's the
>> same thing we think". They said "O" is an"elitist and a Marxist ".

> The Clinton campaign has been centrally attacking Obama from the right,
> appropriating Republican racist, "patriotic" and militarist themes which
> have been traditionally used against the Democrats. The Wright controversy
> was a great gift to the Clintons, in that it enabled them to bring the race
> question out of the closet and to declare Obama guilty by association

But Wright wasn't a gift to Clinton. Obama handled it perfectly. For most people the issue isn't even worth discussing anymore. In an ideal world I wish Obama had said Wright is correct and I stand by him but we all know that would be political suicide. Obama's handling of the attempt to make an issue of Wright has to impress anyone on the left in my opinion. If Obama totally disagreed with Wrights ideas he wouldn't have stayed in that church so that says nothing but good things about Obama. The way Obama handled the issue with Wright was first-rate. In my opinion Clinton failed to make much of an issue over Wright because the voters are less racist than she, and other elites, believe they are.

John Thornton