[lbo-talk] Gallup: Dem race now tied

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Apr 27 18:10:43 PDT 2008

============================= The Clinton campaign has been centrally attacking Obama from the right, appropriating Republican racist, "patriotic" and militarist themes which have been traditionally used against the Democrats. The Wright controversy was a great gift to the Clintons, in that it enabled them to bring the race question out of the closet and to declare Obama guilty by association in much the same way that McCarthy and others condemned liberals who had some association with members of the CPUSA during the cold war. The media-manufacturerd sneers about his alleged "elitism" are part of the pattern, having less to do with the genuine economic distress of rust belt Americans than with the anti-intellectual strand in the American popular consciousness, which demagogic politicians like the Clintons have so successfully been able to exploit.