[lbo-talk] McCain's health care "plan"

Tim Francis-Wright tim at francis-wright.com
Wed Apr 30 10:05:30 PDT 2008

B. wrote:
> [Big surprise, his plan sucks and would actually
> encourage employers to eliminate health care for their
> workers, leaving those workers and their families as
> free agents on the market. -B.]

I read in the local rag that his advisors claim that the tax break for employer-provided health care coverage would cost $3.6 trillion over the next decade. This sounds ludicrously high to me--it is about twice the federal government's annual revenues outside of SS and Medicare. Does anyone have a figure for how big the tax break was in some recent year?

--tim francis-wright